The DepEd Commons
The DepEd Commons is an online platform for public school teachers to support distance learning modalities. It was designed as a direct solution to give access to online review materials and Open Educational Resources (OER) during class suspensions and other similar circumstances.
OERs in DepEd Commons are authored by public school teachers who are subject experts, properly cited and acknowledged. Teachers can retain, reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute the content by blending it with a learning management system to deliver a distance learning modality.
- What personal information may be collected;
- How the data collected or provided to us is used and protected;
- The rights to be observed upon collection of personal information;
- Reason for using cookies;
- How users can access, correct and protect their personal information;
- How users can contact us.
The Department of Education Data Privacy Officer (DPO) for DepEd Commons shall take responsibility in securing any personal information collected.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Data Privacy Act of 2012, RA 10172, or simply DPA is the law that governs individuals and institutions on their collection and usage of personal information.
- Personal Information. A piece or pieces of information provided by the user of this web-site that when used can identify you as an individual or entity. This also known as personally identifiable information or PII.
- Service. This refers to https://commons.deped.gov.ph/ or the DepEd Commons website.
- Personal Information Controller (PIC). PIC or the data controller as a whole is legal person or entity (or both) that determines the purpose/s an manner of processing PII. In this Policy and for this Service, Intelimina Systems Inc is your PIC or data controller.
- Personal Information Processor (PIP). PIP or the data processor is any natural or legal person qualified to process PII. In this Policy and for this Service, this refers to Department of Education, its authorized employees and provider maintaining this Service.
- Personal Data. Any information on individuals or entities such as names and email address used collectively.
- Processing. It refers to the collection, recording, organization, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, consultation, use, consolidation, blocking, erasure or destruction of personal information. If necessary for the efficient delivery of DepEd Commons and other service, the processing of personal data may be outsourced to third party service providers subject to compliance with this Statement and the provisions of the Data Privacy Act and its Implementing Rules and Regulations.
- Cookies. These are text files or tags placed on the device that you used when you visited our website.
COLLECTED PERSONAL DATA
We collect information about you when you register as a user or when you correspond with us. We also collect information when you voluntarily complete user surveys or provide feedback. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and telephone number. Website usage information is collected using cookies.
This policy does not impose restrictions on contact information such as name, title, or contact details collected, used, disclosed or made publicly available solely for the purpose of communicating with the individual, group, or institution that may relate to a service, work, employment, business or profession like when listed in a directory or through blogs, social media sites, online brochures, or other printed or published materials that are available and accessible to the public.
Other information that is aggregated and not associated with a specific individual, including demographic information and statistics that may be collected (by way of cookies, see last section), like time zone, region, browser type, device type, and IP address, are not combined with data identifiable, and therefore should not point to any individual or entity.
HOW PERSONAL DATA IS USED
Personal information provided are collected and stored to allow communication between the parties. These may be shared among authorized employees and provider of the DepEd only for the purpose of maintaining and sustaining this Service.
We use your information collected from the website to personalise your repeat visits to the website, and to administer and improve our website.
Non-identifying personal data are aggregated and anonymized, and collected as a statistical tool to know organic site visitors, the site's generated traffic, and pages that were visited. None of these are shared in a way to contact or identify you.
We will use the information you provide us for the following purposes:
- to provide timely, reliable and value-added services to users like information management, referrals, technical support, and related services;
- to establish a relationship with open and reliable communication network for purposes of maintaining, sustaining, developing or improving this Service;
- to process any transactions that you wish to suggest or respond to any enquiries you may have;
- to provide, develop, implement and manage available services for you, including user marketing materials and questionnaires that help us enhance this Service;
- to assist in law enforcement efforts, protect the service or public interests;
- to manage and promote this website or service;
- to meet requirements imposed by law; and
- other purposes directly relating to any of the above.
In accordance with the DPA, the users of this service has the following rights:
- Right of Information. Right to be informed whether a user’s personal information shall or have been processed. This website policy declaration is a manifestation of your right of information.
- Right of Access. We store your information for as long as needed and necessary. You may have reasonable access to your personal information if it is still covered or within our retention period.
- Right to Dispute and Rectification. You have the right to object to any error or inaccuracy on your personal data and have them corrected.
- Right to Data Portability. If your data is stored digitally, you can receive the same copy and transmit that to another.
- Right to Restrict Processing. You have the right to have your data blocked, removed, or destroyed if inaccurate, outdated, or no longer serving its original purpose, subject to the legitimate exercise of said rights under the DPA and its IRR.
- Right to File A Complaint. You have the right to file a complaint about the processing of your personal information. You, or anyone acting legally on your behalf if you are indisposed, have the right to seek redress if your personal data were illegally obtained or unlawfully processed.
To know the full text of your rights under DPA, you may read it here.
TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA
Personal data will be kept confidential but, subject to the provisions of any applicable law, we may share your personal data with:
- any actual or proposed operator of this service, in the exigencies of public service, or as may be determined by the DepEd Secretary or his or her authorized representative.
We will make all reasonable arrangements to ensure that personal data in our possession or under our control are protected against unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
PROMOTIONAL AND DIRECT MARKETING
From time to time you may provide us with personal information for the purposes of helping us to improve your overall experience with us or helping us to provide relevant information about services, its development or further improvement. Your personal information shall not be used for promotional and direct marketing without your consent.
ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION AND CORRECTION
As enumerated in the rights observed by DepEd Commons, users have a right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you and information about the ways in which we have used and disclosed that information. If you would like this information, please contact our Data Protection Officer (for contact details, see below). We may ask you to pay a minimal charge for this.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct information you think is inaccurate.
COOKIES AND THEIR USE
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour information. Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. If you prefer, you can set your browser not to accept cookies, and remove cookies from your browser, or inform you when they are set. However, in a few cases some of our website features may not function as a result.
- They provide functionality. Cookies remember the pages you visited so you can press or tab “Back” and be directed to the previous page you were reading. Cookies save details you provided when filling out a form so if you lose connection and return to the page, you do not need to type everything all over again.
- They feed insights. Cookies help us analyze our site's traffic, trends, and usage. This allows us to make a forecast on server capacity and take appropriate actions to sustain and maintain service.
- They help measure effectiveness. They allow us to understand how the site is used. Cookies measure the effectiveness of a page, keyword, tag, or link.
- They enable us to distinguish you from other users of the website, which helps us to provide you with a good experience when you browse the website.
- This information is also used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity, allowing us to improve the website.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Please contact our Data Protection Officer if you have any questions about our data protection policies and practices or the information we hold about you at email@example.com.